Hair fall is not uncommon to man, regardless of your gender. If your tub or shower has begun to retain water and isn’t clearing up, chances are you have developed a problem of your drains being clogged with hair. This problem is something that is familiar to every household and isn’t something you should be worrying about. Yet the question remains, how to dissolve hair in the shower drain and which such methods are effective?
So, when it comes to how to dissolve hair in the shower drain? One of the ways that people find most easy when it comes to clearing drains is to pick it up by yourself with the help of your fingers or a tissue, and you’ll be left with a shiny disgusting ball of hair which everyone does seem to find quite unpleasant. This also seems to anger people because no matter how many times you try to clear it out, something all of the hair just doesn’t come within your reach.
But there is a solution when it comes to this problem, and you can take the help of several chemicals as well as household items. There are simple procedures that take only a few minutes and can result in clean and clear and get rid of all of the balls of hair in the pipes.
Types of hair that clog drains
Before understanding the different ways, a drain can be cleared and deriving the answer to the query of how to dissolve hair in the shower drain, and it is important to understand the different types of hair that clog the drains in your house. The first is mustache hair. Though not thick, they can clog your drain. Even if not being shaved, the process of washing your hair or even trimming leads to the falling of facial hair. The second is long scalp hair. Washing of long hair even twice a week can severely clog drains. The third is dog hair. The hair that your pet sheds all year long can also result in clogged drains.
Ways to unclog drains
Now it is time to finally discover the answers that are available as well as proven to the question – how to dissolve hair in the shower drain. They include a variety of home remedies as well as tools that can be used. A few techniques that can be used to prevent water pooling in your shower include:
- Baking Soda and Vinegar – One of the easiest methods is to make a mixture by combining baking soda with vinegar. It can unclog almost anything and everything. You need to boil some water in a tea kettle, pour it into the drain and wait for a few minutes. Next, you need to mix one cup of vinegar with a one-fourth cup of baking soda and pour it down the drain. You will have to repeat the process after about 15 minutes. Rundown some water down the drain, and check. If you need to do it again, carry out the same procedure.
- Baking Soda and salt – Baking soda is a great component when it comes to clearing drains. Mix a cup of baking soda with half a cup of salt and pour the mixture over the drain. Leave it for a night. It will fuzz a few times and ultimately dissolve all of the hair in the drain. In the morning after, pour down two cups of boiling water. After a few hours, you’ll have a clear drain.
- Vinegar –This is one of the most recommended home remedies when it comes to clearing up your drains. You need half a cup of baking soda and half a cup of apple cider vinegar. First, you will have to pour down the cup of baking soda and let it stay for a while. Then pour down the cup of vinegar. Once both of the ingredients are combined, you will hear a bubbling sound. That sound is a sign of all of the hair dissolving. If the clog is still persistent, repeat the same process.
- Bleach – If your drain is still not getting unclogged, another way to go is to use bleach. It won’t make a mess in your pipe and will clean your drain up. As hair is acidic in nature and bleach is basic, a combination of the two will create a neutralization reaction between both of them. You need to pour a cup of liquid bleach down the drain. It will take around half an hour for the bleach to dissolve the hair. If no improvement is seen, you can pour another cup of bleach down the drain. It is not expensive but maybe slightly dangerous. Make sure you’re wearing gloves to protect your hands and goggles to keep your eyes safe before you start the process.
- Tools – There are several tools that you can make use of when it comes to how to dissolve hair in the shower drain. The first tool you can use drains claw. They are great for the removal of hair from drains, but the only drawback is that it has a limited reach. The next tool that you can use is a hanger, and you can also use a clothing hanger. You have to create a hook that will be able to remove all of the hair from down the drain. Another tool that can be used is a plumber’s snake. It is quite a professional tool that most people don’t have lying around their house but is very efficient.
These are just a few things that you can try when you’re attempting to dissolve the hair present in the shower drain. Hair clogs can be one of the most stubborn things to clear up. It can be hard to clean up, especially once the hair gets meshed with all of the soap and other debris, it can cause a hard time. Making frequent use of chemicals may not be the best solution, so be careful. It might seem very efficient but may cause more damage than good. So, make you figure out what’s right for you. Hairballs and clogs aren’t impossible to dissolve, find what works for you, and you’ll never face the problem again.